About me

View my complete profile
Claudia
I wrote my first novel, Smudge's Mark, in a closet. No joke.
Saturday, November 21, 2009

Is it ever too early to think about Christmas shopping?

I'll share a secret with you: I hate shopping.

There, I've said it. I'm not quite normal, I know. The only time I shop, on purpose, is around Christmas, so I'm seriously thinking about it now. (and I'm breaking out in hives)

Now, some people think it's too early to be thinking about Christmas. Afterall, American Thanksgiving isn't even over yet.

But then again, I've heard of people who do their Christmas shopping on Boxing Day of the previous year. So I guess the end of November isn't too early.

And it isn't too early if you're going to consider buying gifts online. And it isn't too early if you're going to take some time to consider which organizations you're going to buy from.

Please don't get sucked into only buying from the box stores this Christmas season. I know, I know, money's tight these days and who can resist the rock-bottom prices offered by said box stores? But you know, without this coming off as a guilt trip, somewhere someone has to pay for these box stores to be able to offer these irresistible rock-bottom prices. And it certainly isn't us.

This is the main reason I hate shopping.

Now, I'm going to ask something of you. No, you don't have to start hating shopping too. I'm going to ask you to consider Buying to Make a Difference this year. At least when purchasing SOME gifts - if not all.

If this concept interests you, (or if you want to know what the heck I'm talking about) here are a few links to help get you started. I've personally bought items from these organizations - your money will be used in the way they say it will.

Ten Thousand Villages

Sari Bari

Made by Survivors

Toms Shoes

Pura Vida Coffee

Just Us!

If you have any other suggestions of proven organizations that offer fairly traded and fairly made products, please share them here.

Now this is shopping I can get excited about!

Happy shopping!

0 comments: