About me

View my complete profile
Claudia
I wrote my first novel, Smudge's Mark, in a closet. No joke.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happy Snow Day! Er... I Mean, RAIN Day

Whatever kind of day it's turned out to be, my school's been closed and I'm home writing. But unfortunately I'm not writing what I should be writing. I'd every intention of making a serious dent in my WIP today, but as it's turned out my intentions have panned out about as inaccurately as the weather forecast has.

Oh, I've been writing, alright - just as ... STUFF most definitely has been falling from the sky. But just as the STUFF falling from the sky should be forming snow banks, the words flowing from my brain and out through my fingers should be forming chapters in my WIP. But they're not. Instead, they've been forming emails, tweets and this blog posting. And now, lo and behold, it's lunch time. Sigh.

The problem today has been that it's a blank page day. I've come to the end of a chapter in my book and all that's staring me in the face right now is a blank page. I'm not one who outlines and plans ahead - I've tried and it doesn't work for me. But usually when I get to this blank page stage, I go back a few chapters and revise what I've already written. At least then I feel like I'm accomplishing something. And sometimes it helps propel me forward. Sometimes.

But today I thought I'd try something new and push forward without going back first. I'm always so impressed by people who can write an entire first draft in a continuous forward motion - without looking back. So at 8:30 this morning I told myself: Self, today you are not going to look back. I forbid you to look back. You must push forward. Onwards and upwards! Eyes on the prize! No pain no gain! You gotta climb that mountain! One foot in front of the other! Head up, shoulders back, stomach in. Charge!!

I'm still facing a blank page.

I've always hated cliches!

0 comments: