About me

View my complete profile
Claudia
I wrote my first novel, Smudge's Mark, in a closet. No joke.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ginger is My New Best Friend

So what's a temporarily unemployed author who's experiencing major writer's block to do with all those hours in her day so she feels like she's actually accomplishing something?

Clean the house? - No way!

Do laundry? - Are you kidding me? Psh!

No, a temporarily unemployed author who's experiencing major writer's block does not clean the house nor does she do laundry so she can have a sense of accomplishment at the end of her day, much to the disappointment of those who share her living space.

Rather, she cooks!

Now, I'm not talking about KD, microwaved frozen veggies, and frozen pizzas - those are delicacies reserved for an employed author whose writing is flowing freely. No, I'm talking about the kind of cooking that exists within the magical realms of creative art. I'm talking about fresh ingredients and savory flavors that reawaken and revive your soul. Think I'm exaggerating? Have you ever experienced fresh grated ginger root? If you have, you'll know what I mean.

Yesterday it was a curried chickpea dish with fresh ground cumin, ginger root, turmeric, coriander seed, and garam masala. Today it's baked lemon pepper tofu that's being marinated in fresh lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic, and ground black pepper as we speak. I can smell the lemon and garlic on my fingers as I type. Mmmmm...

Talk about cultivating my relationship with my Creativity. I've realized today that I'm totally reviving my senses in ways that I've not done before. I've painted, sketched, read, listened to music, gone on nature walks, even knitted entire sweaters to replenish my creativity during past creative droughts. This is a new path for me, I've discovered. One that's always been available but one that I've never stepped into. Let's hope it eventually leads to some kick-butt words on a page!

Yay for epiphanies brought on by fresh grated ginger!

2 comments:

Sara@OTW said...

If only I could cook! I have only just mastered making KD. =S

Bev Katz Rosenbaum said...

Mmm, that lemon-pepper tofu dish sounds great! (My son's a vegetarian, and the rest of us have become vegetarians sort of by osmosis.) I love cooking, too (when I have the time!) because it's so creative and also love the instant gratification aspect!