About me

View my complete profile
Claudia
I wrote my first novel, Smudge's Mark, in a closet. No joke.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Where's Jimmy?

Okay, today is a buckle down and write day. I've got to put some skin on the bare-bone ideas that are clinging to the pages of my notebook.

But there are so many of them, all elbowing each other, fighting for attention (Me first! Me first!) that I'm a little overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

What I usually do with this kind of scenario is treat it like I'm dealing with kids. First, I just listen in for a while and see if they can work it out for themselves. But they rarely do. So, then I step in and say, "Well, if you can't decide who will go first, then we'll just have to wait until someone tries to be more mature and offers not to go first."

But, that suggestion often just gets ignored and I'm eventually forced to intervene again. I then quiet them all down and choose the kid who's made the least fuss to go first. "See. Jimmy was standing here quietly while you were all arguing, so he gets to go first." Then 'Jimmy' usually just looks at me with a blank face because he really didn't want a turn anyway, but he's a compliant child and will do what he's told.

Now, to find the idea named Jimmy in my notebook...

0 comments: