About me

View my complete profile
Claudia
I wrote my first novel, Smudge's Mark, in a closet. No joke.
Friday, September 4, 2009

A lazy re-post

Today's my day off, so as for a "real" post, I've decided to steal my own review of SMUDGE'S MARK as I wrote it on my Goodreads profile. Lazy, yes. But it's my birthday!! :p

What I learned: (from writing SMUDGE'S MARK)

1) Writing a book is no party at the beach. Unless, of course, you're attacked by sharks, step on a jellyfish, get a sunburn, and fall into the bonfire.

2) Editors are the ones who tell you that the waters are safe and to dive right in; tell you that no, silly, that only LOOKS dangerous, feel it with your toes - it's squishy; make the wooden lounge chair with slats for a seat look inviting and assure you that you're not the kind of person who has to worry about protecting yourself with sunblock; and convince you that you could totally clear that fire if you just take a good running start and picture a perfect landing.

3) Editors are also the ones who, when you buy into their confidence in you and take their advice, are there for you with all the surgery, anti-biotics, aloe vera, and polysporin you need to fully recover. You then believe they have been sent to you by God himself. (Which, by the way, they have been)

4) Readers make the whole terrifying, nerve-wracking, painful, yet oh so strangely satisfying experience totally worthwhile.

5) I'm so ready to repeat the above. Many times

0 comments: