About me

View my complete profile
Claudia
I wrote my first novel, Smudge's Mark, in a closet. No joke.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Buying to Make a Difference

What a nice surprise on this dreary February day! I just got my Sari Bari bag in the mail.(This is a picture of the actual bag) It's amazing! And much bigger than I thought it would be. Which is good considering all the random junk I end up carrying around with me.

If you're looking for a new bag, or throw blanket, consider visiting Sari Bari and ordering one from there. They are all hand-stitched in India, using 5 layers of vintage saris. And the name of the woman who made it is on a small tag, attached to the item. You may need to wait for a new shipment as they only come about once a month and sell out quickly. I recommend signing up for shipment notifications. It's worth it.

The best part about these bags and blankets, besides the fact that they are beautiful, handmade, and affordable, is that each purchase price goes toward providing a life of sustainability and freedom for a woman who's been sold as a slave. Yes, as a slave. Slavery still happens today, people, in many forms. It's for this reason that every chance I get, I try to either buy locally or buy to support efforts such as Sari Bari. It's worth it to educate ourselves on a global scale, especially when issues involve the exploitation of fellow human beings. So, I'm going to carry this bag with a sense of respect and honor for the woman who stitched it together, knowing that she's gone through more in her life than I can even imagine.

0 comments: